8.22.2009

La, La, La! I'm Going to My Happy Place!

Life has gotten slightly frustrating because blah, blah, blah. Nobody wants to hear it (especially me!). Instead of a good, cathartic rant, I decided to post pretty pictures of my favorite things. Denial, good old-fashioned "sticking my head in the sand," is absolutely my drug of choice.

Without further hesitation, I offer you a warm welcome to Natalie's Happy Place.

Enjoy your stay.

France

The Eiffel Tower at Night

photo credit: Sunny Diverson

I am an unapologetic Francophile. I love it, the way Ella Fitzgerald sings about it and the way Hemingway writes about it. I love the Flea Market in Bordeaux. I love the art and the bridges and the style and the food. I love the Seine and the Dordogne. I love it all, including the people, because it is old and established and full of well deserved pride.

And the language? Don't even get me started on how much I love listening to it. It is tres delightful.

Running

Marathon Feet

photo credit: NuPhotos

Feet? Meet pavement. Become friends. You're going to get to know each other real well in the next hour.

Flea Markets and Thrift Stores

Alameda Flea market

Photo credit: Colleen Baptista

Few things satisfy me more than discovering hidden $3 treasures in a pile of used, worn, and discarded tchotchkes (sp?). I love plates and linens and shirts and frames. I love vases and shelves and jackets and books. I love walking out of the musty dusty store with my finds and heading home to relish in the success of my treasure hunt. In general, Dave is wildly disinterested, but he humors me and I love him.

New (or not so new) Books


I have a "To Read" list and a "To Read" stack. It's like revolving debt. It never goes away. Despite plodding through dilligently every night, somehow I end up with more books to read. I have my sister and my friend Grace to thank. However discouraging the incompletion of this perpetual project is, the possibilities lurking in new books intrigue me. The hope of excellent writing, an original story, and interesting characters keeps me from throwing in the towel completely.

Naps

Time for a Nap

photo credit: tonigirl

I do not need to elaborate.

Church

Morrisburg Lutheran Church Spire

photo credit:noodleguy

That quiet hour on Sunday feels like stepping out of a smoky room into cool, clean mountain air. My head clears and I focus on things that matter most in my life. Loving completely. Trusting fully. Giving everything. By Saturday, when the worries of the week have darkened my mind, the anticipation of Sunday's sermon is the light. Amen.


Knowing It Ends


Dark Tunnel

photo credit: kidney bongos

Like good meal or a bad presidency, all things come to an end. We won't be stuck in this place forever. With healthy dose of determination and a sprinkling of faith, I know, I just know,
we'll be fine.

There. I feel better already.

2 comments:

  1. What a delightful list!!!
    Oh we must be twins I agree with all of these!
    ESPECIALLY FRANCE!!!
    Oh what a glorious country!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I like people who say nice things.