11.26.2010

Daily 5 for Christmas: Books For Preschoolers

Hi All,

My friend Lexi passed along a piece of advice from her dad, Rick.  He said, "Active toys make passive children, passive toys make active children."

Well, since having kids, those words have been my guidebook.  Many of you remember my "great cleanout" posts, where I cleansed my house of irritating items.  Many of those items were battery operated toys, active toys, that my kids watched without interaction.  Bye bye!

The holidays are coming, and what better gifts to give than those that help a child grow?  Over the next few weeks, I'm going to post some of my favorite toys.  These toys might make your kids (or your brother's kids) messy or loud, but they'll be better for it.  I'm going to post my favorite books, too.  I worked in a book store for a while.  I've got a lot.  Note: An entire series counts as one book.  Additionally, I'll have links posted for every item.  If you order items from Amazon through my blog, I will receive a small commission.  Not all items are from Amazon, though.  Additionally, feel free to purchase the item from your favorite retailer, especially if you shop at locally owned businesses.  Please note:  I will NOT be posting items based on their price.  I will post items based on my opinion of their quality of experience.  I do not own all of these items!

Day 1:  Holiday Reading for Preschoolers
    Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
    by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
    This beautiful book offers life lessons to children in the context of cookies.  Oh lord.  You will love this book!  Life lessons of sharing, tolerance, understanding, and love come to life with beautiful, whimsical illustrations.  This has become the story we read before our annual cookie-making day.  I cannot get through it without getting misty.  I cannot recommend this book enough.  This is my favorite Christmas book.  Bonus: there's a recipe for Sugar Cookies in the back.
The Night Before Christmas

by Clement Clarke Moore
illustrations by Grennady Spirin

Last Christmas was the first Christmas we read "The Night Before Christmas" to Alexandria.  She had just turned 3.  In addition to the outstanding illustrations (the shadows are incredible!), there is a brief history of the poem on the back book jacket.  This edition of the beloved peom is beautiful.

I Spy Christmas: A Book of Picture Riddles

by Jean Marzollo and Walter Wick

The "I Spy" engages children of all ages, and this edition is no different.  Ideal for preschoolers and kindergarteners, the "I Spy Christmas" book will surely get a child in your life excited for the holidays!


The Gift of Nothing

by Patrick McDonnel

Simple illustrations highlight the simple message of this charming book.  It's a nice lesson for children and for overindulgent adults.  We should all remember what is most important in our lives.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

by Dr. Seuss

What list of favorite Christmas books would be complete without "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"?!?!  Funny and touching, with the most outstanding, creative illustrations of all freaking time, this book will quickly become your child's favorite.

So that's it.  If you're looking for books for your favorite preschooler, these are my picks!

Love, Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like people who say nice things.