2.27.2010

Here's What's Up...

First:  I got glasses.  And I just may love them.  I can read again, and that's pretty much my fave-o pastime.  Other than running.  But I don't really do that before bed.  I think they're just nerdy enough to be chic.  I'm not taking a photo of myself right now, though, because my face is all moisturized and shiny after my shower, and I look greasy.  So, you'll have to wait.

Second:  I'm reading like a fiend.  I've taken a liking to non-fiction.  Apparently, I've been craving facts.  Here are my reviews of my recent reads.

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years, by Julie Andrews.  In a word: Captivating.  She is amazing.  As both a singer and a fan, I feel a deep love for this woman.  Her voice conjures the happiest memories of my childhood, and now it is weaving it's way into my children's memory.  Her story is just as enchanting, albeit surprising.  Her writing style mirrors her eloquence, grace, charm, wit, and self-depreciating humor, and serve to make this book a delightful read.

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demick.  In a word: Jesus.  Ms. Demick profiles six North Korean defectors as they struggle through, and out of, the most opressive regime on Earth.  Part history lesson, part biography, Nothing to Envy illustrates the unfathomable desperation in the ordinary lives of North Koreans.  She successfully explains how North Korea's political failures have lead to specific problems such as famine, homelessness, crime, and apathy.  Personally, this book captivated me.  I read it in two nights.  Ms. Demick evokes from the reader sympathy.  She reminds us that these people, these North Koreans, are victims of a madman's vision, and that the results of his vision are unforgivable crimes against humanity.  She reminds us that these people are humans, with lives and ambitions and families.  That what the mothers want most is to feed their children.  That they seek love and relationships and friendships and stability.  And like all human beings, they are entitled to it.  She reminds us that they are people, just like us, and that when the Koreas are united again (it's probably going to happen in my lifetime), we, as a world, must be ready to help.  Everyone should read this book.

I just started Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.  It's pretty funny, and he's got a quirky style that currently suits me.  Maybe it's the glasses.

What else, what else, what else...

Oooh, I'm going to Disneyland with Alexandria on Monday and I can barely contain myself.

Aaaand, I've taken to my sewing machine again.  Handbags, this time, I think.  In the past, I've made lovely double sided flannel swaddling blankets, flannel burp cloths, and bibs.  I knitted scarves, too.  I can still do all that, if you want me to.  But grownup girls need some love.  So I'm making super affordable, summery handbags.  Cute, simple, and fun, and they're on the way.

A note on this post:  I kind of jumped around on this post.  But that's how I roll.  There's so much in the world to learn and know and see and do, and it's all we can do to contain ourselves each day.  Here's my philosophy, in a nutshell.  I rarely do things in a nutshell.  If it's fun, I'll do it.  If it's well written, I'll read it.  If it tastes good, I'll probably eat it.  Maybe just once, but I'll try.  The human experience is available to us for such a short amount of time, and we get to enjoy it with limited resources, we are almost obliged to max it out.  Do what you have to do to make every day amazing.  Use the gift of your life.

1 comment:

I like people who say nice things.