1.15.2013

It's My Birthday Week!

Well, technically it's on Saturday, but I decided I'd have a Birthday Week this year.  When I told Dave, he said, "It's about time because every other woman I know does!"  My birthday week is a celebration of the things I love most.  Yesterday I made bird feeders with Marcus and last night we had a family movie night.  It was a Monday and we all watched "Toy Story".  Super treat!  Today I'm treating myself to a long writing session, a good run, and a craft with my kids.  But I'm also hankering for something else.  Here it is.

For my birthday this year, I want charity.  Seriously.  I want you to donate $5 (or more) to a charity.  Do you have a favorite that you already contribute to?  If not, ask yourself, "What do I care about?"  Do you care about free speech?  Do you care about education?  Do you care about cheetahs in South Africa?  Do you care about feeding the hungry or fostering children?  What about cancer or HIV or depression?  Perhaps soccer camps for kids?  WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU?  Today is a perfect day for you to do something about it.

I've compiled a list of charities that are important to me for various reasons.  Some charities benefit scientists who are working to find a cure for cancer.  Others aid children born with cleft lips and cleft palates.  Still others match foster animals with their forever homes.  If one of these organizations speaks to you, please give today.  I'd love to hear about it, but you're also welcome to hold it inside.  You never regret giving to others.

Help someone else today.  That's all I really want.

Health

Today, you can


Children

Today, you can


Education

Today, you can


Community

Today, you can


Social Justice

Today, you can


Environment

Today, you can


International

Today, you can

  • support Blue Kitabu's environmentally and financially sustainable education programs in Ghana.
  • support children in Swaziland receive love and education at the New Hope Centre.  (This is a faith-based organization).
  • help children in war-torn countries at Unicef.


This, my friends, is the short list.  There are SO many mouths to feed and we all have so much to give, and if you've got a favorite, go today to give $5.   Your change jar can change somebody's life.

Please please please give $5!  That's it!  If you want to give more, please do.  But support people who are giving their lives to make life better.

Today, you can.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like people who say nice things.