12.17.2012

I Want To Hear From You


It’s only Monday.  I really wanted to stay in bed today, or more accurately, just not take Alexandria to school.  I wanted to keep my little family close by to do crafts, sing, or lie about on the floor.  Maybe talk about Santa.  I need giggles and to not be on a schedule.  But we went through the rigamaroll of the morning and I was happysad when we got to Alexandria’s classroom.  We had to knock on the door.  It’s now locked at all times.  Fear of the unknown is holding all of us hostage.

I felt a little better yesterday, though.  I did some Christmas shopping.  My spirits lifted seeing so many people smiling.  I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a book for their holiday book drive and that felt good.  I found ways to be joyful and light.  It’s the season, after all.

I heard my pastor say, "I’m a fixer."  I like fixing problems, too.  I want to fix this and I can’t.  Nothing I do will undo it.  That problem is beyond my capabilities.  I'm not hopeless because I can do other things.  We can do other things.  Sadly, the list of problems facing our towns, states, our nation, and the world, is endless.  The thought of confronting all of these issues seem daunting, impossible for one person to tackle.  We’re a team, though.  Right?  Aren’t we all in this together?

I once heard my wise friend tell her child, who was lamenting the absence of a snack while in the car, “Remember that feeling.  That’s hunger.  Some children feel that all day long.  You’re getting a snack when we stop.  But be grateful.”  Any and every child can understand the sadness of hunger.  Every child can work to end that.

I came up with an idea last night that Dave and I are entertaining.  Since our kids are old enough to understand the necessity of giving, I thought, “Let’s make it a family affair.”  I suggested that we make only one resolution for next year.  I suggested that we, as a family, agree on a cause and commit time to that cause one weekend day per month.  Alexandria suggested that all children should have pajamas.  I agree.  Every kid needs pajamas.

Instead of focusing on what we can’t fix, let’s fix the things that we can.  Here are some simple steps:
  1. Choose your problem.  Hungry kids in Africa or clean drinking water for everyone?  Eyeglasses for everyone, shoes, coats, dental care, band-aids, access to birth control, adopting shelter pets, supporting foster parents, treatment for the mentally ill, backpacks for schoolchildren, soccer balls, trash-free streets, parks, and beaches?  Pick one.
  2. Choose how to give.  Your options are time, money, or goods.  Can you drive your neighbor to dialysis?  Do it.  Can you read books to the elderly or the blind?  You bet.  So can your teenager!  Can you have a summer garage sale and donate the proceeds?  Yes.  You can.
  3. Commit.  Write it on the calendar or put it in your phone.  Accept no excuses, including your own.  Despite what we’d love to believe, we all have extra time.  Turn of MSNBC, FOX, and CNN.  Shut down the X-box.  Get off the computer or phone and get out.  Take your teenage boy or girl with you.  Take your spouse.  Bring a friend or neighbor.  Turn giving into a family or neighborhood affair.  Build it into your own culture.

That’s it.  Veterans need YOU.  Children need YOU.  Shelter animals need YOU.  Parks, recreation areas, beaches, forests, deserts, and lakes need YOU.  Displaced peoples around the world need YOU.

If you are out there volunteering, giving, walking, educating, fostering, adopting, or feeding, I want to hear about it.  Please leave a comment.  I am desperate to know how you are making it better, or how you plan to make it better.  Please leave the web address of your favorite charitable organization, as well.  I am committing to this.  Join me.

2 comments:

  1. I volunteered and hugged as many children as I could today at A's school. I plan to continue...

    ReplyDelete

I like people who say nice things.