4.08.2010

Uh-Oh! I've Got A Mad Girlcrush!

In a word: pitterpatterpitterpatter

Soooo, last night I went to the Alicia Keys concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl.  You know, no big whoop (LIE).  I took my girlfriend Erin, and she was a spectacular date.  Dave was supremely disappointed, because he's got a major crush on her (Alicia Keys, not Erin).  He like, really loves her.  He had "Songs in A Minor" before we even started dating.  I was pretty impressed.  He has aquired every one of her albums as they've been released.  He's a fan for realsies.

When Dave and I found out she was coming to town, we jumped at the chance to see her.  We jumped without looking at the calendar, though.  Sadface because Dave had to be in Phoenix for work.  Whateves, though, because Dave still really wants to see her, and I'd D.I.E. to see her again, so...looks like somebody's going to be in line again next time she tours!  I will most likely wear my gray houndstooth plaid fedora with a feather again, as well.  It so ruled.


Anyway, here's my synopsis of her performance.  Imagine being in the place that inspires you the most, like church during an amazing sermon or the beach as a storm is clearing.  Or listening for that one note of your favorite song.  That's what it was like.  The whole performance was about being the person you are meant to be, and that nobody else is going to get you there except you.  She is positive and inspiring, and while watching her play the piano, I got the impression that she's simply comfortable in her skin.  She's not trying to be anything that she's not.  As a woman with a boatload of insecurities, and as a mother of a little girl who will be a woman, I thrill at the thought of people like her being in the world.  It gives me hope.

To top it off, she came onstage in a pair of silver sequined pants.  Srsly.  I think that's when my girlcrush started.  She was in sequined pants, in a cage.  FTW.  Her hair was wild and all over the place, and her voice is epic, and she pretty much rules.  Her freaking piano had it's own grand entrance, for crying out loud!  And she is so beautiful, and her voice is like sand and honey, and every single person in the audience melted at least once.  I might have spent the first 10 minutes of the show with my jaw on the floor.  I'm not kidding.  Ask Erin.

Here she is being beautiful:



And here she is being awesome.  Hi.  Those earrings and that hair remind of somebody who talks like Rosie Perez in "Do The Right Thing."  Mooooookie!


So that's it.

2 comments:

I like people who say nice things.