4.12.2010

I'm Blowin' Sunshine Tonight! (You Should Be So Lucky)

I'll start out by pointing out the obvious.  Life is hard.  It's hard for everybody.  Even people who we think have it easy have their own battles raging.  Most of us are just struggling to make it through the day with the bills paid and milk in the fridge.  However, if you are reading this post and are not one of these people, you might have queued up in the wrong line.

Thinking about all the ways we struggle is really easy.  It's frighteningly simple to hang some balloons and streamers and throw yourself a pity party.  But guess what?  Nobody's going to show up because they're all too busy trying to deal with their own stuff.

After a long conversation tonight with my awesome mom, I learned a few things about complaints and self-pity.  I should be so lucky.  My complaints usually surround a blessing that, in my opinion, has gone awry.  Well friends, tonight I'm turning those complaints back on their end.  I'm going to find what's good.  I've included in (parenthesis) the accent in which each response should be read.  If it is not entertaining to you, then whateves.  It was hilar for me!

Here goes:
  1. I'm alone a lot because Dave travels for work.  It's tough because I don't have any support throughout the day, or at night, when I get tired or frustrated.  (In a strong Irish brogue)  Ah yes, the ol' martyr complaint.  Well, dearie, you're blessed because you've a hard-working husband with a strong work ethic and a secure job.  You're blessed because he works hard to provide for his family.  You're blessed because you are learning to be strong and resiliant and to work through problems on your own.  You're learning self-sufficiency.
  2. I'm not really in love with my job.  (Like Joy from "My Name is Earl")  Oh please, honey.  Who does?  In this economy, a job is a blessing.  A job you love?  Now that's a luxury.  You complain about your job and I'll find 15 people scrambling to take your place.  What?  You work 3 miles from your house?  Oh snap.  Shut your mouth and get back to work.
  3. I have to drive 30 miles each way to my in-laws for childcare.  (Passive-agressive grandmother) How nice for you that your children will know their grandparents.  How nice that your drive is from Ventura to Santa Barbara, along California's central coast.  Oh, with an ocean view, you said?  Must be nice to have that problem.  And how much do you pay them?  Hm.
  4. We have a bigger mortgage than I'd like.  (Guy sitting next to me in a bar after a long night of complaining)  So, now you're wanking about owning a warm house that is not in forclosure?  Especially after a really nasty rainstorm?  Really?
  5. My son has had some medical problems that have been expensive and continue to be worrisome and time consuming.  (A pediatrician)  OK, I just want to clarify.  You're actually complaining that your son has survived a life-threatening heart condition and an acute hypoglycemic episode?  You are.  A word to the wise: Don't make those same complaints around all the parents who have lost their kids to the same things you're lucky enough to be treating.
So there you have it, the answers to my top five broken-recordish pity party lines.  It feels good to turn things around.  It feels good to be appreciative.  Mind you, life is still going to be hard.  The list things that need to fill up my day will still be long, and I'll still get overwhelmed, but I'll be reminded that goodness lurks in unexpected places.

What blessing can you find in your most common complaint?

1 comment:

I like people who say nice things.