12.18.2016

Get Up.



Hey.

It’s been a while.

Remember that time Dave was the one who was depressed? We got that shit managed and under control. Love won!

But now it’s me. I’m definitely not as bad as I was a few weeks ago. It was ugly.

The anxiety started right around the time Comey dropped his useless email bomb on America. I had a sick feeling that a lot of folks were going to believe it was significant (turns out it wasn’t, but TOO LATE!).

Then I had a full-blown panic attack on November 8. When I realized that he was going to win, I puked three times and went to bed.

The next day sucked. What followed is a blurry month of bathrobes and bed sheets.

I was down. Depressed. Dark and hopeless. I felt betrayed by racists (don’t even START with your argument for economics). I learned that my vote truly didn’t count (it’s one of those 3 million that made her the most popular candidate in history, but it wasn’t from the right state).

Our in-house economy was pretty bleak, too, so I felt like the world was falling apart. I cried a lot. I read incessantly. I cried some more.

Fuck breakfast. Fuck lunch. Fuck dinner. I didn’t do anything. I was a shitty wife and a shitty mother and a shitty employee.

Dave was concerned and took me to his therapist one Monday night and I just cried. She was amazing and I love her, and I started to feel a little more hope knowing that I wasn’t alone. She said that this malaise, this depression, is happening all over the country.

Is it happening to you?

One therapy appointment didn’t fix what ailed me, because the next day was another barrage of idiocy, stupidity, ignorance, and lies from the incoming administration. Mental note: that’s going to be a constant for the next 4 years (or however long he stays in office). Who are we? What are we doing?

I was next level. So I went to my primary care doctor and talked about it with her and she was like, “Yeah, this is a THING. It’s a deep despair and hopelessness. It’s happening to a lot of people.”

Is it happening to you?

She also said, “It’s not hopeless. We have come so far and so many people do not share this vision. Your hopelessness is a product of the distortion of depression.”

So she gave me MEDS AND THEY ARE AWESOME!

It’s taken about 2½ weeks and one dosage adjustment, and the results are remarkable.

This depression, this malaise, this "low" you feel is your body's way of telling you, "THIS IS NOT NORMAL." Listen, it's going to be like this for a while and if we need to be medicated for four years to make it through, so be it.

But the work doesn't get done unless we get out of bed. Get dressed. Get out the door into the snow or rain or sunshine and get to work. We need to look into the eyes our most vulnerable and extend a hand. The ONLY way it's going to get better is if a bunch of people work together to make it better, and we can't do that if we don't show up. 

It also doesn't help that the sun is out for like 38 minutes a day or whatever. No, I don't live in Alaska but I speak in hyperbole. You can translate.

Get up. Pick up trash at the park, or go to a Black Lives Matter meeting, or figure out how your city can change all the streetlights to LED, or fight for bike lanes, or vegetable gardens at every school, or native plants in city planters, or support refugees in your town, or become a Girl Scout leader or a Cub Scout leader, or go to Standing Rock, or walk dogs at your local shelter, or run for office...

Get up. Show up. You are needed and necessary. Go where your work is appreciated. Go where you are needed and wanted. Go where your heart tells you, and avoid people who do not appreciate your work. Local and internationally, your work is needed and necessary. It's going to take more than a safety pin to bind us back together.

It's going to take action. It's going to take elbow grease. It's going to take YOU.

The revolution will not be televised. It will happen in real life.

I want to tell you that the first thing you have to do is get up and deal with the depression. Call your doctor and take control (you can get health insurance here) (#ThanksObama). There are numerous medications with few side effects. You deserve to feel better. You deserve to have control. You deserve to have the will to fix this.

But first of all, you need to get up.


26 comments:

  1. Anime Battle has returned with 17 beautiful new characters, each one beautiful and powerful. The biggest surprise in this 2.2 release is the addition of the Goku, Vegeta and Gotenks, also known as the main character, in the Dragon Ball Z series to the game. Anime Battle 2.2 , with a total of 75 playable characters as well as multiple bosses, is the most comprehensive online combat game on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The website and the blogs published are indeed amazing! The way these articles are written make them a treat to read! Latest WhatsApp Updates news

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, You write good content Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya, I’m really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish just about gossip and net stuff and this is actually irritating. A good site with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for making this web-site, and I’ll be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post….. I read a few of your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Post, Thanks for your very useful information...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Post, Thanks for your very useful information...

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can I speak to a live person at Google Chrome?

    If you want to know how can i speak to a live person at Google Chrome, follow the steps mentioned here. Even after offering users outstanding services, there are chances that some users might face an issue with Google services like Google Chrome issues, issues with Hangouts and Docs services, and more. Users can contact the live person by simply dialing Google Customer Service Phone Number 1866-246-6453.


    Also Read:-

    how do i talk to a person at verizon customer service
    How can I talk to a live person at yahoo
    How Can I Talk to a Live Person at Firefox
    how to turn off youtube notifications on chrome
    remove chrome extensions mac
    how to remove bookmarks on chrome
    chrome not working
    how to enable java in chrome windows 10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Very Nice your Blog and Keep Update for more information about Buy Baby Products

    ReplyDelete
  10. You shared very nice and detailed information with us. This article contains very useful things for us. Contact us for More Information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot for the informative article. Keep up the good work. Great to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was nice meeting with you. This is so impressive and wonderful blog for us. Really appreciate your hard work. Thanks.
    Best IVF Hospital in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a nice and informative read. Brilliant contribution. Thank you
    Best IVF Consultant in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your content is very attractive please more content. Keep it up buddy and Thanks a lot for such wonderful.
    Best Gynecologist in Allahabad

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope Everyone Doing well. Going to Find some Important tips and care. Information is too good.

    Best IVF Centre in Allahabad

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let's the more creative post. Great to see you. I would personally request to suggest us for more information.
    For More contact.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so nice and thank you for such wonderful care. I would love to write more about you. I would Feel glad to work with you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for connecting with us. this is just a reminder for you. keep working hard.

    Hysterectomy Surgery Cost in India

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. This is so Amazing and Nice to read about you. Great blog post for me. Learn More

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best of luck my dear friends. I have seen many things in my life. Thanks for such a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great work done by you. This is so awesome. Many Information can help you. Thanks for the idea.

    Get the Treatment of Cervical Cancer at Sunrise Hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wondering to know more about you. This is so classic and best for me. follow me for more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Best Sharing blog. Here you can get tips, on how you can build trust and put the best comment.
    To know more about Contact us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now I would like to tell you. This blog Content is super exciting. It will help many of us.

    Choose Hospital for the Best Treatment for Adenomyosis

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are doing a great job. I personally request to all. please support them.
    Thanks to all.
    know more - laparoscopic abdominal cerclage before pregnancy

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks so beautiful. the blog content is better but needs some improvement.
    Keep sharing with us. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

I like people who say nice things.